The location of this weekend’s Archipelago Rally small-boat sailing race, originally scheduled to take place at India Point Park in Providence, Rhode Island, has been changed to Wickford Harbor.
Event headquarters will be the home of Tracy and Ezra Smith, 74 Enfield Ave, Wickford (North Kingstown). Check in is 11:30 a.m., with first starters around 12:30 p.m.
This is a very shallow area, so only dinghies and windsurfers will be able to meander around the islands.
The Archipelago Rally is a fun, laidback small-boat sailing race held each fall on Rhode Island’s Narragansett Bay.
The event promises lots of fun, great people, food and music, and most importantly, crazy boats! To see what all the fun is about, check out BoatingLocal’s video (below) of last year’s rally on the Kickemuit River.
The rally is a pursuit race: slowest boats start first, with a le mans start. The boats circumnavigate a few islands in the harbor and meet back on the beach for a BBQ with music and prizes. If you enjoy being on the water with friends, this will become a permanent event on your calendar.
- Where: 74 Enfield Ave, Wickford (North Kingstown)
- When: Saturday, October 22. Check-in at 11:00 a.m. (first starters around 12:30 p.m.)
- Who: The rally is open to all sailors. Even if you don’t have a boat, come and cheer on the racers and enjoy the food, drinks and scene. Pass this along to any friends who might be interested.
- What Boats Can Participate? Anything that floats and has a sail (all boats must fly a personalized flag from their spar).
Boats that have sailed in the past (and will likely be here in 2011):
Nesting Dinghy 17
- Delaware Ducker
- Beetle Cat
- International Canoe from 1962
- Dyer Dhow
- Dyer Flyer
- Caper Dory 10
- O’Day Daysailer
- Original Windsurfer
- Formula Windsurfer
- Hobie 14
- Hobie Mirage Kayak/sail